Monday, December 3, 2012

Copyright


As a future teacher it is very important that I am aware of all the copyright laws. I read two articles to learn more about copyright. First I looked at "15 Copyright Rules Every Student Should Know." One thing I found interesting is that copyright lasts throughout the author's life and an additional 70 years after. Thanks to this law, classic novels can be distributed freely in the classroom. It's also important to know that there's a fine line between sampling and stealing. Video and music can be used to a certain extent - three minutes of video and thirty second song clips can be used in student presentations.

Next I looked at, "Copyright for Teachers and School Librarians," and I read some of the rules about watching videos and listening to music in class. A student can bring a movie to school to watch during lunch or free time as long as it's only that child that is watching it. It is against copyright laws to show a movie to the whole class. Teachers aren't even supposed to listen to a CD in their classroom. In both of these cases, money could be made off of the people who don't have the movie or CD, which is why this rule exists. In many of my classes, elementary through college, these copyrights have been broken.

15 Copyright Rules Every Student Should Know
Copyright for Teachers and School Librarians

No comments:

Post a Comment